Poros Island

Information about Poros Island

(Area: 23 sq km – Coastline: 43 km – Distance from Piraeus 31 n.m. – I.s. 358 m).
The green island of Poros, just opposite and very close to the east coast of the
Peloponnese, offers peaceful holidays catering principally for families and also for
sailing enthusiasts. It features pine-clad hills and beautiful sandy beaches, some of
which have water sports facilities. The centre of the island’s social life is the town of
Poros with its picturesque harbour.
Poros, divided from the mainland town of Galatas by a narrow strait  (only 200
metres wide at its narrowest point), actually consists of two sister islands, Spheria and
Kalavria, which are connected by a bridge. Spheria, an island created by volcanic
activity, is entirely occupied by the town of Poros. Kalavria, however, is covered by a
dense pine forest.
Poros is a popular sailing destination and from spring to autumn, the beautiful port
becomes the meeting point of luxurious yachts and the centre of a bustling nightlife
where visitors can enjoy the tasty seafood offered in the numerous restaurants and
fashionable nightspots.
The small Archaeological Museum  (Tel. 22980 23276) features several interesting
finds from the island and the mainland sites of Troizinia and Methana. Worth a visit are
also the ruins of the naval base created by the Russian Navy in the early 19th century,
that are situated at the end of the road to Neorion.
Some of the sights can be reached by leisurely walks. One hour from the town are
the remains of the Poseidon Temple built in the 6th  century BC. Further away is the
16th-century Zoodohos Pighi Monastery alongside a beautiful beach.  In addition to
these sights, visitors should also see some points of interest on the mainland across the
strait. Just south of Galatas lies a huge lemontree grove called Lemonodassos. West of
Galatas are the remains of the ancient town of Troizena, whilst some of the most
renowned historic places of the Peloponnese such as Mycenae, Epidaurus and
Nauplia, can be reached within an hour.
The island’s main festival is the Nautical Week held each year in July and during
which the island hosts several concerts, exhibitions and competitions.
There are several resort hotels on the island as well as furnished apartments and
rooms in private homes. Most  accommodation is available in  Poros Town, Neorion,
Askeli and in the mainland town of Galatas including a campsite.
Buses and taxis leaving from Poros Town service all parts of the island.
Beaches: Neorio is the most popular stretch of the island, consisting of a string of
small romantic beaches. There are several hotels along the seafront together with some
water sports schools. Another lively beach can be found at Askeli, with a selection of
hotels, restaurants and water sports facilities. Less  frequented is a small beach at
Monastiri. All these beaches are served by bus from Poros Town.
How to get there: Poros can be reached from Piraeus by high-speed boat (approx 1
hour)  or by regular ferry (approx 2 1/2 hours). There are several departures each day
connecting Poros  with Piraeus and the  other Argo-Saronic Gulf Islands. Motorists can
also use the frequent ferry services from the island’s sister town Galatas located on the
mainland (Peloponnese). In addition, Poros can be reached by bus via Nafplio and
Galatas.

The lordly and pine-dad Poros, is one of the most beautiful islands of the Argo-Saronic Gulf. It offers a harmonious combination of the light
green of its lush vegetation and the bright blue of the crystal clear waters of the Saronic Gulf. Poros, meaning passage, was mamed after the 200-
metre passage which separates the island from the mainland Peloponnese. Poros consists of two islands, Spheria and Kalavria, separated by a
narrow canal and connected by a bridge: the volcanic islet of Spheria entirely occupied by the traditional town of Poros, and the island of
Kalavria completely covered by thick pine forests.
History. Poros has been inhabited since the Mycenaean era (1600 -1100 BC), as has been proved by the finds at several places of the island such
as by an important settlement of the 3rd millennium BC at Cape Vasilis on the north-east coast and a significant naval settlement of the 12th c BC
on the neighbouring islet of Modi (or Liondari) east of Poros.
Poros also played a significant role during the Greek War of Independence of 1821. It was the primary base for the Greek Governor Kapodistrias
and in 1828 the ambassadors of the three allied forces were met to set the borders of the new Greek state. In 1830 the first Greek naval port was
also established here, and nowadays its headquarters building is used as a training centre of the Gteek Navy.
Poros Town, built like an amphitheatre in an appealing place with distinctive colours and atmosphere, has been stated as a preserved traditional
settlement. The first houses were built in 1463, on the top of the  hill, around the area where the historic clock tower “Roloi” stands. “Roloi”, built in
1927 and completely restored in 2002, is the symbol of Poros Town.
Visitors may walk along the narrow streets with the white houses, enjoy the sunset from “Roloi” and watch the sea passage with the small boats
coming back and forth from the nearby coast of the Peloponnese all day long.
The island’s premier resorts are Poros Town, Askeli and Neorio. They are the most popular places for holiday accommodation and entertainment.
Whatever is your choice, the short distances within Poros Island will give you the chance to meet the unique charm of every place on the island.
Askeli and Neorio  are located on the pine-clad coasts of the island providing modem amenities: hotels, restaurants, bars and well-organized
beaches with a great variety of water sports. Askeli  is on the east side and Neorio on the west side of the island.

Places of interest
• Temple of Poseidon (520 BC). Its ruins lie NE of Poros Town, almost in the middle of the island.
• Monastery of Zoodohos Pighi (16th C). An outstanding monument of monastic architecture amid a thick pine forest, east of Askeli.
• Russian Naval Station. It was built in 1834 to supply the Russian ships sailing the Aegean Sea  and operated until 1900.
• The rocky islet of Bourtzi, east of Poros Island, with the Heideck fortress, built in 1827 for the protection of Poros’ port.
• “Lemonodassos”. The famous lemon grove, with over 30,000 lemon and orange trees, south of Galatas, a town on the mainland Peloponnese,
just opposite Poros.
• The remains of the ancient town of Troizena, west of Galatas.
• Vayonia, a pebbly beach NE of Poros Town, where an ancient town is to be found under the sea.
• Villa “Galini”, one of the most representative preserved mansions on the island, built in 1892. It hosted world-famous writers such as Henry
Miller in 1939 and Georgios Seferis in 1946.
• Poros Archaeological Museum, displaying important exhibits of the Mycenaean  and Roman  periods.
• Conference Centre of Poros Municipality, housed in a historic architectural monument built by the architect Ernst Tsiller and restored in 2002.

Beaches
There are lots of beaches around the island: sandy or pebbly, shaded by pine trees, organized or secluded, reached by bus or a small boat.

Activities
All Water Sports (waterskiing, windsurfing, jet-skiing, wakeboarding, etc.) Sailing. Yachting. Rowing (The island’s nautical clubs will teach you
everything you need to know about rowing and kayaking). Walking. Hiking. Mountain Biking.

Hotels in Poros Island

7 BROTHERS Poros Town POROS Hotel
DIMITRA Poros Town POROS Hotel
DIONYSSOS Poros Town POROS Hotel
MANESSI Poros Town POROS Hotel
POROS IMAGE Neorio POROS Hotel
RANIA Poros Town POROS Studios
SAGA Poros Town POROS Studios
SARON Poros Town POROS Hotel
SIRENE BLUE RESORT Poros Town POROS Hotel
STO ROLOI Poros Town POROS Traditional Hotel Apart.
THEANO Poros Town POROS Hotel
VILLA KICHLI Poros Town POROS Apartments

Google
Web gr-hotels.com